From earliest memories, my life has been filtered through movement; dancing from age three, every sport from swimming and soccer to rock climbing... Since college, yoga has opened the path of understanding stillness in juxtaposition to my penchant for motion and has given me a clearer vision for the dance of letting go. Interwoven in my work and studies is a constant seeking toward more subtlety and space, including exploring yoga therapies, medtation and Buddhist thought.
I find myself in constant exploration of the transitions and spaces between; between asanas, between exhale and inhale, between movement forms, between concept and experience, and between tradition and innovation. My explorations of street movement and break(dance) have influenced me heavily and together with my yoga practice led to the creation of the Breakti Method, which influences all of my work and has provided a ground from which to guide students into further explorations of sustainable and curious practice. I teach from a ground of clear alignment and intuitive sequencing, preparing students' bodies and minds for the curiosity and depth of asana. I also like to share a healthy dose of philosophy and psychology with a (primarily) Buddhist take on practice, facilitating the clear perception to which meditation and mindfulness point. I view yoga and meditation practice as a laboratory through which we can explore where we get stuck, and also recognize our inherent capacity to be open-hearted and present.
My Prior and Ongoing Studies include:
- BFA, 2002, Dance Choreography and Pedagogy
- Over 200 hours in Therapeutic and Restorative Yoga
- Over 500 hours in Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Anusara, and other styles of Hatha Yoga
- Over 200 hours Meditation and Buddhist Studies with Shambhala, Goenka's Vippassana, and a 2013 graduate of the yearlong Buddhist Studies and Teacher Training Immersion at the Interdependence Project with Shastri Ethan Nichtern.
- Studies with Gabriel Halpern (Iyengar and Therapeutics), Carrie Owerko (Iyengar), Laurel Hodory (Ashtanga and Anusara), Schuyler Grant (Vinyasa, Kula Flow), Doug Keller (Therapeutics), Jillian Pransky (Restorative, Therapeutic Applications), Raphael Xavier (somatics and Breaking), Nevine Michaan (Katonah Yoga), and John Friend (Ansuara and Therapeutics)